Works on local machine, but not on server

holtzy

Newcomer
I have an ASP.NET web app that communicates through named pipes to a windows service that I created. It works just fine on my workstation, but when I set it up on the server (install service, copy asp.net project and setup the virtual directory) it doesn't work anymore. I can see the web page just fine, but it doesn't communicate with my service and I cannot figure out why. I've been trying to figure this out for a while and it's driving me crazy. Any help is greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

workstation = IIS V5.1, Windows XP Pro SP2
server = IIS V6.0, Windows Server 2003 SP1

Last edited:
Do you have any errors? Will the web service throw an error if authentication isn't correct? Will the caller of the web service raise any errors you could see? Does the application or web service use any com components that might be using previous version that are loaded in memory? Is there a firewall setting blocking communications with the web service if it located on a different machine?

Thanks for the reply. It's a windows service, not a web service, but no, I get no errors whatsoever. The page runs through without errors and the event logs for my service just show that it's waiting for clients to connect and no clients ever connect. It's all on the same machine. Is there something I have to tell IIS that this is an application instead of a normal virtual directory?

Back