Windows Media Player

davearia

Centurion
Hi All,

I found this link: http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2006/10/31/913360.aspx this is a great article that shows hows to use windows media player in a browser.

I put into a site that I am playing around with and ran locally on my machine it looks pretty good. It list all the artists, songs and artwork etc. The problem is when I put it on my server. I have a machine in my loft which I am now using as a server which has windows server 2003 on it.

I published this site onto this server. The site runs ok with one main difference to how it ran on my local machine. That is the page that shows the list of music is empty. I have manged to track down the part of the code where the problem is:
Visual Basic:
Dim wmp As WindowsMediaPlayer = New WindowsMediaPlayer
Dim playlist As IWMPPlaylist = wmp.mediaCollection.getAll()
Dim artistDictionary As Dictionary(Of String, Artist) = New Dictionary(Of String, Artist)
For i As Integer = 0 To playlist.count - 1
'Do all the processing in here...
Next
When this code is ran locally the variable playlist has a count greater than zero, however when ran remotely on the server this variable has a count of zero, even though there a thousands of songs on this server which are in the windows media player's library.

No exceptions are being thrown, just this variable is not getting populated with anything.

Any ideas please share, Dave.

At the moment I am trying ASPNET as the user. I am sorry I don't understand what you mean with your 2nd question.

Each user on the computer has their own "library", so I'm guessing that the ASPNET user's WMP library is empty.

Try running your site as the user on the computer that has all the tracks in 'their' library - if this fixes the problem that you can either leave the site running as that user, or import all the music into the ASPNET user's music library (log on as the ASPNET user and 'scan computer' in WMP)

B.

Hi,

Just logged in as ASPNET and the library seems to have all of the songs that my account has!

The other thing I was wondering was could it be copyright on the files stopping me from doing this?

Any ideas?

Yes I am using using the user ASPNET to log into the server. I have set the Identity of the application pool to ASPNET

Hi,

I am at the stage where I am trying anything and everything to get this thing working.

I think I may have been wrong when I said that I had logged into my server as the user ASPNET to see if this user has these files in their library. In fact when I try to login is that user I get the message "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively". I have tried various things to fix this but none seem to work.

Whilst doing numerous things I have noticed that I do get some information in the application event viewer: Plug-in 'WMS Anonymous User Authentication' on publishing point 'PublishingPoint1' failed with the following information: Error code = 0x8007052e, Error text = 'Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. ' This message has only appeared a few times.

I am really struggling here, if there is anything you can think of please share.

Cheers, Dave.

It's me again!

Ok I did some more investigating yesterday to try and find out why this is not working.

As I am not too sure about debugging ASP sites remotely I used some extra code in the sub that I knew was the area where I needed to examine. I simply sent a few emails to myself via the code to get a clearer understanding of what was happening:

Visual Basic:
 Private Shared Sub Refresh()
        Dim smtpServer As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient
        Dim EmailServer As String = "SMTP.them.co.uk"
        Dim ErrorEmailFrom As String = "me@me.co.uk"
        Dim ErrorEmailTo As String = "me@me.co.uk"
        Dim msgError As System.Net.Mail.MailMessage
        Dim wmp As WindowsMediaPlayer = New WindowsMediaPlayer
        Dim playlist As IWMPPlaylist = wmp.mediaCollection.getAll()
        Dim artistDictionary As Dictionary(Of String, Artist) = New Dictionary(Of String, Artist)
        If playlist.count > 0 Then
            msgError = New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage(ErrorEmailFrom, ErrorEmailTo)
            msgError.Subject = "Got records, user: " & My.User.Name
            smtpServer.Host = EmailServer
            smtpServer.Send(msgError)
        Else
            msgError = New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage(ErrorEmailFrom, ErrorEmailTo)
            msgError.Subject = "No records, user: " & My.User.Name
            smtpServer.Host = EmailServer
            smtpServer.Send(msgError)
        End If

For i As Integer = 0 To playlist.count - 1
            Dim media As IWMPMedia = playlist.Item(i)
            Dim albumArtistName As String = media.getItemInfo("AlbumArtist")
            Dim albumName As String = media.getItemInfo("Album")
            Dim trackName As String = media.getItemInfo("Title")
            Dim trackLocation As String = media.getItemInfo("SourceUrl")
            Dim trackNumberString As String = media.getItemInfo("OriginalIndex")
            Dim theArtist As Artist = Nothing
            Dim artistSortName As String = Artist.GetSortName(albumArtistName)
            If Not artistDictionary.TryGetValue(artistSortName, theArtist) Then
                theArtist = New Artist(albumArtistName)
                artistDictionary.Add(artistSortName, theArtist)
            End If
            Dim theAlbum As Album = Nothing
            If Not theArtist.Albums.TryGetValue(albumName, theAlbum) Then
                theAlbum = New Album(albumName, theArtist)
                theArtist.Albums.Add(albumName, theAlbum)
            End If
            Dim theTrack As Track = Nothing
            If Not theAlbum.Tracks.TryGetValue(trackName, theTrack) Then
                Dim trackNumber As Integer
                If Integer.TryParse(trackNumberString, trackNumber) Then
                    theTrack = New Track(trackNumber, trackName, trackLocation)
                Else
                    theTrack = New Track(trackName, trackLocation)
                End If
                theTrack.Album = theAlbum
                theAlbum.Tracks.Add(trackName, theTrack)
            End If
            msgError.Body = msgError.Body + "playlist count:" & playlist.count.ToString & "albumArtistName: " & albumArtistName & " Album: " & albumName & " trackName: " & trackName & System.Environment.NewLine & "trackLocation: " & trackLocation & System.Environment.NewLine
        Next
        ArtistList.AddRange(artistDictionary.Values)
        ArtistList.Sort()
    End Sub

Here is an example of the body of an email the code sent me yesterday:

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- 4 and 5 star rated
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- 4 and 5 star rated.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- Have not heard recently
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- Have not heard recently.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- Listen to at night
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- Listen to late at night.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- Listen to on Weekdays
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- Listen to on Weekdays.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- Listen to on Weekends
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- Listen to on Weekends.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- One Audio CD worth
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- One Audio CD worth.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Favorites -- One Data CD-R worth
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Favorites -- One Data CD-R worth.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Fresh tracks -- yet to be played
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Fresh tracks -- yet to be played.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Fresh tracks -- yet to be rated
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Fresh tracks -- yet to be rated.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Fresh tracks
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Fresh tracks.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: High bitrate media in my library
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\High bitrate media in my library.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Low bitrate media in my library
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Low bitrate media in my library.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Music tracks I dislike
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Music tracks I dislike.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Music tracks I have not rated
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Music tracks I have not rated.wpl

playlist count:15albumArtistName: Album: trackName: Music tracks with content protection
trackLocation: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\00139619\Music tracks with content protection.wpl

What you can see is that ASPNET has no songs at all just 15 playlists. So when the site (http://www.showcaseit.co.uk/, click webmasters login as Admin/Password click hyperlink etc) tries to load the list of songs it just shows one artist as unknown if you click to play this track the code cannot find this one song, as it is not a song but a playlist.

Thanks to some help I manged to log into the server as ASPNET. I opened Windows Media Player and populated its library with all of the songs. This has made absolutely no difference what so ever. I just got shown the same 15 playlist and nothing else.

Thanks for your help so far but please keep it coming if you can.

Cheers, Dave.

Back