Windows Authentication asks me to login!

eramgarden

Contributor
I read this blog:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...thin-an-Intranet-ASP.NET-Web-application.aspx

1. IIS6.0, windows server 2003, SP1
2. I setup my site. Disabled Anonymous access. Enabled Windows Intergrated Authentication.
3. I do not use impersonation
4. I have the webconfig exactly as that blog has it:
Code:
     <authentication mode="Windows" />
        <authorization>
            <deny users="?"/>
        </authorization>
5. I added ASPNET useraccount to the folder with "Read&Execute", "Read" and "List Folder Contents" permission.

When I bring up the site, I get a pop-up to login with userid/pwd But this is windows authentication, what am I missing??

Is your domain account in a group that has access to the directory. It's easiest to have a group that has access and then add new users to that group.

I created a new group on that server. It uses Active Directory. I added myself, administrator and ASPNET to it. Went back to the folder, "security" tab and added the new user with Full Control and still get the login/pwd pop-up box.

Is the Active Directory causing this??

i guess it is meant to ask you to login once you enable windows authentication..

you need to log on with the credentials you use to log on to your computer.

No, with windows Authentication, it shouldnt ask for userid/pwd. With the other authentication methods (Basic, etc) it should...

anyone?

Is the account you are logging on to your PC as part of the same domain as the web server hosting your application?

Is the web server part of the domain?

If so logging onto your pc as yourself should automatically authenticate you to the web server without prompting you for any credentials.

The only other thing I can think of is something is blocking the credentials between either yourself and the server or the server and a valid DC - are there any firewalls or proxys between yourself and the web server or between the web server and a DC?

I bring up the application from 2 places: from the webserver itself and from my PC.

I log in to the webserver as "administrator/<pwd>". I bring up the site and i get the pop-up. After I login to the pop-up, i get authenticated (I have a textbox showing the domain and username authenticated as part of my test).
I see <domainname>/Administrator.

Then I went to the IIS and expanded the website. On the right pane, i right clicked on one of the aspx files and chose "browse" and I got the same pop-up.

between the web server and a DC? what is a DC??

Yes...

I looked at the server and when I want to log in it's "xxx/Administrator".
For my laptop, I have the same "xxx/<mylogin>"

I think we only have one domain..this is not a huge office, only 6 of us here. I also looked under "micrsoft windows network and I only see one node (xxx).

I read more articles about Windows Authentication to make sure if i'm missing something but doesnt look like it..

Back