Will DOTNET 1.0 and 1.1 be obsolete in future?

kaisersoze

Centurion
Will DOTNET 1.0 and 1.1 be obsolete in future?

We have some applications that are stable but require some maintenance once in a while. Migrating the older applications to newer release has to go thru a lengthy process like why, when, etc... So, if there is a line somewhere that says Microsoft will not be supporting DOTNET 1.0 and 1.1. that would close many arguments.

Can someone throw some light here?

Although I haven't seen any definite time frames regarding support for .Net 1.0 / 1.1 it is safe to assume they will eventually be depreciated; however given the fact the framework is part of 2003 server I would imagine it isn't going away anytime soon - normally when MS announce the end of a product they still support it for approx 5 years mainstream before then putting it into extended support.

I would say the bottom line is there are no short term worries but eventually the tools will cease to be supported. The actual runtime itself is a different matter and you can rely on that being present (either directly or via windows Update) for the foreseeable future.

.Net 2.0 is a fairly major upgrade and it may be worth taking the plunge and upgrading; also .Net 3.0 and 3.5 are really extensions to the core 2.0 platform rather than replacements so things look easier for the future...

Thanks to open source projects like Mono, .Net will be around forever. Realistically, in terms of regular users actually using your software, you might have to rewrite your UI code (someday), but any core libraries should still work for years to come. Also, I believe the .Net Framework 2.0 has emulation for .Net Framework 1.1 IL so you get even more longevity.

Back