Why is my Application now causing Security Warnings? [C#]

Shaitan00

Junior Contributor
Again I am creating a game [C#], my first couple of versions worked perfectly fine on my many computers and my friends ...
Then I went and made it larger by added objects (more on the map) and loading more pictures when I draw, running more bots concurrently, etc - pretty much made it more massive and complex (newer version of the game)...

Great for me and all my computers (still works fine) but oddly enough my friend (the same as the previous post incase you are following the story ehehe) is now getting prompted with a Windows Security Warning message (as pseudo-shown beloW) when he double-clicks on the executable..?

Open File - Security Warning

The Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software.
Name: Battle.exe
Publisher: UNKNOWN PUBLISHER
Type: Application
[RUN] [CANCEL]

What could I have changed that is now causing this?
It was working perfectly fine before and I don't recall changing anything that has to do with Publising, Versioning, or any of that...
What triggers this to happen?

Any ideas, hints, and help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Normal security warning

You get that warning with any executable downloaded from the Internet. It isn't anything to do with your application. Of course, if you're trying to run an application from Microsoft then it doesn't say The publisher could not be verified but otherwise it is the same scenario.

I think this feature may have been introduced in SP2.

That would make sense - the first time I provided the game via USB key and the second time (when he started to get this error) it was sent via email as a renamed executable...

Is there a way to NOT get this prompt?

I doubt it

There's certainly nothing you could do to prevent this warning, otherwise people would have - I have never downloaded a file without experiencing this warning. Your friend may be able to turn this feature off in control panel or elsewhere, but I have not yet found a way (this feature bugs me too).

However, once the dialog appears, the user can opt to suppress it in future for the affected file.

Back