which dependencies?

fiveforty

Newcomer
i have tried to build a setup.msi with the included setup project in VS.net. The dependencies list contains: (easydial is an activex control i downloaded)

accessibility.dll
adodb.dll
axinterop.easydiallib.dll
axinterop.mscomctllib.dll
cscompmgd.dll
easydial.ocx
interop.easydiallib.dll
interop.mscomctllib.dll
microsoft.visualbasic.compatibility.dll
microsoft.visualbasic..dll
microsoft.visualc.dll
mscomctl.dll
mscorlib.dll
mscorlib.tlb
msdatasrc.dll
stdole.dll
system.data.dll
system.directoryservices.dll
system.dll
system.drawing.dll
system.enterpriseservices.dll
system.enterpriseservices.tlb
system.runtime.remoting.dll
system.runtime.serialization.formatter.soap.dll
system.web.dll
system.web.regularexpressions.dll
system.windows.forms.dll
system.xml

which ones are essential and which can i remove??

please help - thanks

You should not be including any DLLs that are in the .NET framework (i.e., those in c:\windows\microsoft.net\etc). Instead, you need to make sure the .NET framework itself is installed on your users system, by including dotnetfx.exe in your distribution and making sure it is run before installing your app.

Are all those dlls included in your setup project? They shouldnt cause they are part of the framework, you should only include files that you use that not part of the framework.

[edit]Hehe you beat me to it Divil... :D [/edit]

thanks for the reply guys, but.. i seem to be confused about MSCOMCTL.OCX . At first I included this (with the Ax.interop and interop. etc) and all seemed to install fine.
However, after uninstalling it seems to unregister MSCOMCTL.OCX.
This means that the compiled exe in \BIN no longer even runs properly. I confirmed this by manually using 'regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mscomctl.ocx' and after registering, all was good again.

How can i overcome this problem, because i'm sure MSCOMCTL.OCX may be required by other applications.

-Thanks

There is NO reason for using that ActiveX control in .NET applications. All the Windows Common Controls that are in that ocx are wrapped by proper Windows Forms Controls available in your toolbox.

thanks for the prompt reply, divil:
i'm sorry but i don't follow what u mean by NOT requiring that control. i think that it is required by another custom activex control i've utilized - easydial.ocx - for RAS dialing control.

i guess me question is really WHY does the add/remove programs uninstallation seem to UNREGISTER the ocx?

Probably because it thinks it is part of your program. You need to mark it as "shared" or "system" depending on what installer you use, so that the uninstaller leaves it in place.

Back