Where's the designer class for a typed DataSet?

Nerseus

Danner
In ASP.NET 2.0 I can add a DataSet to my project (in App_Code for example), but I can't see the Designer.cs file. The application is building me a typed dataset because I can "see" it from another class (one that instantiates the dataset). This works fine in a Console or Winforms application.

My guess is that I can't see the designer (or the real "properties" for the dataset, such as the one that says "MSDataSetGenerator") because there is no project file in ASP.NET 2.0.

Similarly, how do you set the namespace for the dataset? Regardless of where I put the DataSet file, the namespace is always just the class name. For example, if the structure of files is this:
/App_Code/Test/Test2/DataSet1.xsd

I end up with a class DataSet1 with no namespace. I've tried setting various properties about the dataset, such as Prefix and Namespace, but these our XML properties and not really the code-generation namespaces as I think of them.

Using the WAP (web project file, the new add-on thing from Scott Guthrie) is not an option at this point.

Anyone else run across this?

-nerseus

Personally I've found this kind of thing really annoying in the new style web applications - especially so since this information isn't hidden from you in other project types.

I've nearly always resorted to just putting the dataset into a class library and referencing that from the web application rather than trying to understand what VS is doing...

Thanks PD. I was getting that impression from all my googling. No one seems to have registered this as a complaint. I'm surprised, since many example do have DataSets living in the App_Code folder but they don't mention a problem with not having access to the namespace or the designer class.

Thanks!
-ner

Back