where do i store a .cs file, in relation to a .aspx file?

fguihen

Junior Contributor
as you all now have realised, im new to this asp.net. if i create a class in c#, which is to be used behind an aspx page, do i have to store the .cs file in the same folder as the aspx file or what. i think this is a really silly question and im sorry for wasting your time

fguihen said:
as you all now have realised, im new to this asp.net. if i create a class in c#, which is to be used behind an aspx page, do i have to store the .cs file in the same folder as the aspx file or what. i think this is a really silly question and im sorry for wasting your time
Are you asking what you need on the webserver itself for the site to run? You just need the aspx files, any special user control (ascx) and the dll that gets created in your bin folder. If your using the debug version also the pdb (I think...something close to that if not).

For development you should keep your cs files in the same folder as your aspx files but I don't believe you have too, I could be wrong... you just have to have your codebehind tag in the html point to the right place. Generally though the IDE will take care of that for you, there's no reason to mess with it.

The cs files are compiled and make up the dll file mentioned earlier.

Hope that answers your question

Back