What object is this and how do I create it?

Goksly

Freshman
Obviously Im not looking for code -> just a pointer :)
object4cg.png

Im creating a datagrid column object with a button and when they click the button I want something like the above to appear (obviously with different controls; a few input boxes and buttons etc.

Anyways what I want to know is what kind of control it is, and how would I make it? I kind of want it to act like that annoying bubble you get in the system tray (saying windows has updates available etc); so it should stay there until a user click close etc -> but only in the child windows (application is a MDI and I only want it to be on the child document).

So er yeah, if someone can point me in the right direction I would be mucho greatful. Thanks in advance :)

duh.... an even better example would be the "search" button on these very forums! Input box / button / stays visible even when the mouse leaves the "search" area and doesnt stop me viewing other programs etc.

I beleive for the web, java script is used to render the search box on this forum and give the effects. It isn't really a control in the windows forms sense, though I suppose you could look at it sort of like that if you wanted to -- but it isn't quite the same. My bet is you'll need to do some custom rendering to get the effects you want. I'll keep an eye out, becuase it looks cool, and let you know if I come across anything more.

Maybe you could use a form with the borders turned off, etc. And use picturebox controls and labels to achieve the 'buttons' and then do an
Visual Basic:
'Untested
Sub OnClick () etc
Dim PopupForm as new FormWithoutBorders
PopupForm.Show
PopupForm.Top = e.Y
PopupForm.Left = e.X
End Sub

type of thing. You could also look here for an example of how to make the form fade in and out.

There is a method via the api that allows you to display a window without taking the "window focus", just as a menu is a separate, independant window, but does not take focus from the window that spawned it. I believe that it had something to do with the SetWindow API, and I know that I found it on a google search for a custom tooltip control (although the exact search terms, I forget).

Unfortunately, that is all that I can remember. I hope that it helps.

Thanks for the input guys!
I was thinking about doing a form, but then I thought if I create a new form from a mdi child, wont that freeze the whole program (while waiting for activity), rather than just the child window its being called / created from?
Ideally I just want the window its being created in being "froze" and not the parent window.... also want to avoid multi threading. I dont think Im 'pro' enough to try that or some crazy API - just dont think im at that level yet.

Thanks again for the input :)

try to look for notificationwindow. it is free.

notificationwindow can do the task like when u are receiving a message in MSN, one small window appear on your left bottom for informing you.

is this you want? howp it help.

I dont think Im 'pro' enough to try that or some crazy API - just dont think im at that level yet.
Don't sell yourself short. Trial by fire sometimes is the only way to learn. ;)

georgepatotk said:
try to look for notificationwindow. it is free.

notificationwindow can do the task like when u are receiving a message in MSN, one small window appear on your left bottom for informing you.

is this you want? howp it help.
Yeah Im not sure that will help, as I really need to to be like... a well placed context menu (but wider and more customisable in terms of having input boxes etc).
Will have a go at some of the suggestions when Ive finally got text and a button in a datagrid column... which is proving harder than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the kind comment too mskeel - but it obviously isnt april fools yet :P

notificationwindow is a pretty simple tools.
the coding for notificationwindow is just like below:
Code:
   'declaration
   Dim nwMessage As New VbPowerPack.NotificationWindow

'to display the message, do as below
    nwMessage.Notify("the message u wanna show", 5000) '5000 means 5 seconds

very easy....

Yeah Im not saying its not easy nor very good if you want that kind of thing. Im after a window, rather than a notification window. By the code sample you've given it looks like it fails two pretty big hurdles:
1) Supports text only... I need text / pictures / buttons / textboxes.
2) Is only there for a limited amount of time. I want it to stay until the user clicks close.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm defo going to keep the link as I can think of 101 projects where something like that is useful, but just not this one :(

Back