What happened to Assembly file and dll?

bri189a

Senior Contributor
In Version 2.0 you don't seem to have these any more? What's up with that? In another post I complained about having to strongly name something to use it (because XCOPY isn't good enough for WebPartManager); now I can't strongly name it because I can't find a dll or assembly for it? ***????

Okay, I figured out how to 'publish' or change the build - but signing the assembly...well now how do I create a key to do that? The instuctions in 'help' saying there's a 'Signing' pane...yeah...where'd they hide that cause I opened every window (I think) and couldn't see that one.

You only get the full signing pane on certain project types - not on ASP.Net ones. You should still be able to create a keyfile with the sn.exe command line utility though.
Once you have generated a key you can set a path to it on the MSBuild Options property page of your project.

Yeah...the sn.exe. command line utility...um...that syntax is so long and the 'help' is so obscure that it's not much good to me...I'm searching code project for a good example or anywhere else I can find and haven't found a good tutorial/example yet...do you have any PD or know of some? Trying to avoid that utility is what got me to posting a look for the 'Signing' pane.

Okay, PD, signed my first assembly - that was fun. Got it in the 'Configured Assemblies' - fun also. How to I get it to appear under .NET resources though when adding references? What kind of install package do I create for co-workers so that they can do the same? Would they still be able to use the dll now that it's signed if they just XCOPY'd the dll into a new project of theirs?

Back