What deployment technique is best?

lottman2000

Newcomer
I have a smart client application that need to function fully in connected and disconnected modes.

you can assume that critical components are downloaded when the application is connected to the network.

Now this client is part of a multi-tier model. the clinet need to be deployed and the question is what one technology or combination of technologies can be used?
Knowing that the client -deployed on pc or laptop-must:

1- have read/write access to the local disk
2- connect to an MSDE local databse server perform CRUD. Don't worry about synchronization.
3- When connected be able to download not just dlls but also new/updated document tepmplates (word, acrobat etc)
4- must be able to communicate with other applications on the computer (word, acrobat etc) thrugh COM or directly.

I am looked at No-Touch, updater Blocker, MSI and Click-once. No one solution seem to be able to solve all my problems. i maybe wrong. And that's why i need your imput.

If you suggest a combination what would you recommend?

Thanks

Lottoman

Thank you for your reply. I am currently looking at the UAB 2.0. The thing the components to be deployed and updated are more than just pure executables. For example: a prerequisite for the Client to work is the presence of a local MSDE running? Well, that need to be installed alongside or preinstalled etc.
I am more interested with things that people have tried and had worked or failed to as to learn what to do and what to avoid. We are yet to have a final deployment strategy, so I am open to each and every suggestion.
Thanks

Back