What Are System Requirements? What Version of VB.Net?

• Thread starter Thread starter Stever
  • Start date Start date
S

Stever

I need to upgrade my computer soon and by next summer I plan to go to Visual Basic.Net. I am seeing though, that VB.Net will not work on any system older than 2000, as I am using 98 2nd Edition. What's worse, it looks as though I will have to use the expensive version of XP, called XP Professional. Is this so?

Next, the only version of VB.Net that I have seen in the stores is the Standard version for $100. There is an upgrade from VB 6.0 to VB.Net for about $600 and the Suite is around $1300. I presently am using VB 6.0 Enterprise Edition. Is there a comparison? I hate upgrades, $1200-1300 is too much money and the Standard is probably watered-down to much. Any suggestions?

I am really fighting this thing since the upgrades to both my computer and VB are going to cost several thousand dollars that I really cannot spare. It's a shame Microsoft couldn't, for once, place its customers first instead of their own greed.

It also runs on NT4/Win2K. One of these O/S should be able to
run on a computer that can run Win98se (possibly need more
memory). The upgrade prices are actually better than when I
upgraded from VS5 to VS6.

It should also run on XP home edition just fine. I'm not sure what more you hoped to get by posting on this board, there is a lot of content devoted to discussing the differences (pricing and functionality) between the available versions on the microsoft website.

Allow me to clarify my original question since there seems to be a difference in interruptions. When I said "upgrade" I actually meant that I was going to have an entirely new machine built. With the newly built machine, will VB.Net run on the standard home edition of XP or not? Obviously a "probably will run" is not good enough, since that is nothing more than a guess. I am looking to build the new machine for my home, not work, therefore I did NOT want to have to purchase a business version of XP (XP Professional) if in fact, XP Home Edition works just fine. This would save $100 or more.

Next, I posted my concerns here since each place I have visited on the internet has "reviews" with comparisons to VB 6.0. They do NOT answer the questions or concerns that I have posted here. So please bear with me instead of being somewhat impolite. I am not made of money and will not have a company buying these for me. The mortgage comes first!

I see nothing wrong with your questions, and thanks for clearing
up the confusion I had about your original question. Sounds like
XP Home and the Pro version of VB.Net would be fine for you.

I am using the VB.Net standard($100) on my machine which has the XP Home version of the OS. You also mentioned being worried about the standard version being watered down. Not having the whole Studio package obviously means I'm missing the other languages, but the VB seems complete and I can create EXE files, unlike a learning version. Although I've recently bought this version, the only barrier I've had so far is that I can't upgrade my projects from previous versions, which you can with the more expensive packages. And maybe there is some download some place that would help me with that too.

It's worth noting also that IIS does not come with XP Home edition. This would mean you could not do any asp.net stuff but I have come across some solutions to getting IIS running on the home edition. If you want to create asp.net applications using vb.net then you will have to have IIS.

VB.Net & Visual.Net Link

To see what the differences are between VB.Net and Visual.Net versions of VB, follow this link. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/howtobuy/choosing.asp

Also, the prices are staggering. Of course, thoughs whose company is purchasing these items, aren't going to be concerned. But consider this;

Visual Studio.net - Enterprise Architect $2,500
Visual Studio.net - Enterprise Developer $1,800
Visual Studio.net - Professional $1,100
Visual Basic.net stand-alone - $100

Which versions from above are you guys using?

Visual Studio.net - Enterprise Developer $1,800
Well, after I get my $300 rebate for getting it on DVD, my MSDN
Universal Subscription will cost $1725. That includes an incredible
amount of stuff, not just vs.net, but all O/S and Office products up
to the Developer's edition and SQL Server 2000 developers. It
is such a good deal, I can't hardly believe it. Of course, it is an
upgrade price because I am already a registered VS6 enterprise
user.

I went to EDU.com

Got Visual Studio.net professional full version for $95!
They also sell Win xp proffesional for about $95.
ANd have other awesome software deals.
Only catch, you have to be a student, so if you are one,
or if you know one, this might be your best bet.
I am not sure of the licence rules, so I am not promoting
anything illegal. You might need to be a student for the
licence o be valid.

Back