Webservice Folder Rights Problem - Urgent

TheWizardofInt

Junior Contributor
I have a web service that needs to access a folder c:\apps on the server where it is running (under c:\inetpup\wwwroot)

The service can access anything in the wwwroot folder and all sub directories. It cannot get to the c:\apps folder. I have given the ASPNet, IUSR and IWAM users full control of apps, as well as trying to emulate a user and give IT full rights. I have also tried emulating the Administrator user - all fail.

I went to Local Security Settings and put the ASPNet and the impersonated user and added them to Act as Part of the Operating system and Logon as Batch Job - no help

Anyone see anything I am missing? I CAN access the folder with a Windows Application that is .Net based. I am running Visual studios 2003 which was upgraded from 2002

Robby said:
How about a Shared Folder?
Robby - isn't IIS bound to only operate in web folders? In other words if it's not part of the IIS root directory or a virtual directory there under it can't access. Is he also giving permission to IWAM_User or whatever the internet guest account is? ASP may have access, but IIS may not. Know your the expert, so that's why I'm asking you to confirm or throw out the idea.

You can always give the "Everyone" user full rights until you find out what user your ASP process is operating under ( you can configure this within IIS ). This is a quick fix, although not anything I would recommend long term.

Rdenberg, Giving Everyone access does not include ASPNET user.

Bri189a, The virtual folder can be located anywhere in HD as long as IIS knows about it.

Back