Web Site Administration Tool

decrypt

Junior Contributor
I'm trying to get the Web Site Administration Tool (WSAT) to run with asp.net 2005 express edition and sql 2005 express edition. The problem I'm running into however is that I get the error message "An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again." when I start up WSAT and that's all the information that it gives me.

I followed the tutorial at http://www.asp.net/guidedtour2/s27.aspx. I ran aspnet_regsql.exe and completed that installation, but afterwards it says "After running the wizard you will then need to change the Provider via the WSAT. You can also implement the Provider API for a custom data storage solution and use the WSAT to manage settings." of course I can't do this because WSAT doens't work.

I also tried editing the machine.config to say:
Code:
<connectionStrings>
        <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;[b]Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;[/b]Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    </connectionStrings>

(aspnetdb is the database that aspnet_regsql.exe created)

instead of:
Code:
<connectionStrings>
        <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    </connectionStrings>

But that didn't work at all. btw, I don't have IIS. Does anybody know the solution for this?

Thanks,
decrypt

Nevermind after a long time trying to figure this out I have finally figured out what i did wrong.

First of all, i wasn't supposed to edit the machine.config file, but rather the Web.Config file that I created in the root directory of my website. Second, I had to do <COMPNAME>\SQLEXPRESS for the Data Source, and the last thing I had to do was in the Database explorer select the aspnetdb.

edit: I was supposed to put this in the Web.config file:
Code:
  <connectionStrings>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=<comp name goes here>\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

</connectionStrings>

Back