Web Services and performance

davesil2

Newcomer
Hi,

I'm currently working on a program (that is fairly far along) that basically just a file tranfer manager. I have created a web service for the windows client to connect to and send or recieve data (Upload and Download files). My problem is this, my transfer rate does not seem to perform very well.

I am sending blocks of bytes (just a byte array like 1024) or some such. I have created a key in the app settings to control outside of code what the block size is. If I am on my computer testing to a web service on my computer it seems to transfer at anywhere between 1500 KB/Sec and 5000 KB/Sec as I would expect but only if I have the byte length set to a high number (at least 300 KB). If I test over the network I'm looking at about 100 to 200 KB with that the same byte lenth. If I do it over the internet (I know you are limited by the slowest common denominator) I can't seem to manage more that 15 KB/Sec and it doesn't matter the byte size I send or recieve. I'm thinking there must be some overhead on the web service that is causing this in addition to figuring out the byte size.

How do I know what the appropriate byte size for tranfer is?
How can I tell if my web services is "un-efficient" or whatever?

Does anyone know how other companies do this (ie. microsoft, adobe, etc.)?

Perhaps my problem is that I'm using a web service and or my model is based around the taskvision program that microsoft developed for a demonstration of smart client technology. Any input would be appreciated.

-David Silberhorn

Back