VS.NET Express for FREE!!!!!!!!!

Hmm... Microsoft is certianly taking a different direction with .Net. The framework comes with free compilers, there are free IDEs, and now they are even distributing their own IDE for free... how long can this hold up? My guess would be until the .Net platform becomes big enough that they can start making a serious profit charging more Microsoft-like prices (and after Java has taken a substantial hit, of course). Well... let's take advantage while we can.

marble_eater said:
... how long can this hold up? My guess would be until the .Net platform becomes big enough that they can start making a serious profit charging more Microsoft-like prices (and after Java has taken a substantial hit, of course).
The same was said about Internet Explorer. The same was also said about Microsoft Outlook, which used to be FREE but is now a premium license. So, those who said that were right about that one. The same is being said about Microsoft's anti-spyware software, which Microsoft continues to claim the GA will be freely available.

I guess they could eventually start charging for their express IDE, but even I, a lone developer on a tight budget, am going to buy a more powerful version.

VagabondSW said:
I guess they could eventually start charging for their express IDE, but even I, a lone developer on a tight budget, am going to buy a more powerful version.
Good point... I am just a hobbyist, but am leaning towards standard versions as well.

The idea has occurred to me that the primary reason for the express versions might be to draw more people into programming. Anyone who is already serious about program will at least buy a standard version, and the express versions might bring more people into the market who could eventually want to upgrade.

My guess at MS releasing a free IDE? To get the product into schools. I had to buy two compilers in school, each about $99 for student pricing. If there are free IDE's out there and MS doesn't have one then students (and their teachers) are likely to use the free ones and get used to that. Now that MS has a free IDE, and a nice one at that, students are more likely to use it and want to continue to use it when they get out of school. MS is probably betting that it will help cut down on the MS bashing as well ("Unix and shell are COOL, M$ sux0rs", "Mono rocks, and it's FREE").

I would guess that the majority of .NET developers use Visual Studio. It would certainly be a plus, albeit small, if a developer I wanted to hire anyway already knew Visual Studio.

-ner

That was l33t, Nerseus. :)

My observation is that Microsoft's entire business model has changed. You basically have 3 levels of users for VS:
1. Basic user with no specific needs. They'd be just as happy with VS as they would with Borland, sharp develop, or Java for that matter. They would be most likely to take the least expensive or easiest solution. These folks program mostly as individuals. Schools would fall into this category. This is about traction, market hold, and education. This is a very fickle crowd. Product: Express Editions.

2. Small - medium project and Professional grade. These are the small businesses, or small/medium projects that have some quality needs but are still relatively flexible. A small business would be likely to shell out $300 - $1000 a license with little consideration but would still entertain the ideas of group 1. These guys have specific needs and those needs must be met for their solution. You'll usually see a mix of open source and VS development environments with this group -- plus they've already made up their mind to either buy or not buy. Microsoft wants this group but buyers from this group are gravy. Product: Standard and Professional Editions.

3. Medium-Large projects and Enterprise grade. This is where the money is to be made. These are the folks who will be buying large quantities of licenses and have very specific needs. These are going to the big time software makers whose biggest costs are things like communication and management and not development tools. These guys have probably also made up their mind already but still need convincing to buy Microsoft. Target Products: The whole enterprise enchilada.

The bottom line: Say you could either give away 100,000 copies of VS Express or sell 50,000 copies at $50. Today's express users are tomorrow’s Professional users and next week's enterprise users. When you are going to be making $100,000 on a single set of licenses for an Enterprise set up, express is really small peanuts -- plus the express market is really hard to sell to. So, the more Express users you can create, the more Enterprise users you'll end up with. Heck, Why are they giving away VS Pro at these Launch Events? Because you can make more money with less effort by selling Enterprise rigs - The launch events are all about educating consumers about VS Enterprise!

Three basic strategies:
Group 1. Give free to people who are hard to sell to in order to gain traction and users. Hard Sell.
Group 2. Don't worry about becuase they'll buy anyway. Easy Sell.
Group 3. Concentrate on marketing and really selling to these people becuase this is the group that will spend the most money. Hard Sell.

It all makes perfect sense -- it just isn't economical to sell VS Express right now.

Last edited:
I think Microsoft is afraid that NetBeans 5.0 (http://www.netbeans.org) is pulling too many developers back to Java. Since it is 100% free and is not stripped down at all, I don't know how successful Microsoft will be at pulling people back. I use VB.NET at work because I have to. I like using NetBeans at home for fun.

Actually, what you think is free for the Express editions is only free for the first year. At least that is what some of the information stated as I was reading the various screens on my way to download the Express edition. If I recall correctly, the plan is to provide the express editions free for the first year, after that there is a charge, can't recall what they quoted as being the target price tag for the express editions, it's not a lot in comparison to the other products though.

Putting in my two cents worth, and from a somewhat different viewpoint, the Express editions may be an avenue to provide initially a zero cost and later a lower cost way for those who program as a hobby or for those who program for Open Soruce projects. One of the big roadblocks for .NET programs making it into Open Soruce was the high cost of the IDE, compared to what other languages like Java and PHP were providing. If you are an avid PHP programmer, you could get from Zend the equivalent of the VS.NET Professional IDE for less than half the price and if you wanted to use something totally Open Source then Eclipse was right there waiting for you (at least I think it could be used for PHP).

Anyway, it was just a thought so figured I would share it as to why I think the Express editions exist.

To be more precise:
microsoft.com said:
Original Context

11. You said “free for one year” — what does that mean, exactly? Will you be charging for this later?

We originally announced pricing of Visual Studio Express at US$49. We are now offering Visual Studio Express for free, as a limited-in-time promotional offer, until November 6, 2006. Note that we are also offering SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as a free download, and that this offer is not limited to the same promotional pricing period as Visual Studio Express.

12. Do customers who acquire the Visual Studio Express products during the free promotional pricing period have to pay after the first year if they want to continue to use them?

No, as long as you download Visual Studio Express on or before November 7th 2006, you will not have to pay for it.

That will probably prevent 2005 Express from being installed free on the new PC you get for Christmas in 2006 - even if you made backups of the downloads, since it has to be activated online through Microsoft first.

I was wondering if you could re-use a registration code from a free license. (After you uninstall the old installation of course! We can't go around violating licenses!) I suppose they might simply disable the install (since the install downloads the program files). Maybe the details are contained somewhere in the license text.

marble_eater said:
I was wondering if you could re-use a registration code from a free license. (After you uninstall the old installation of course! We can't go around violating licenses!) I suppose they might simply disable the install (since the install downloads the program files). Maybe the details are contained somewhere in the license text.
That's a good question, and I really don't know how Microsoft is going to address that.

The Express Editions that I have installed seem to require an internet connection to register the product during the installation. Maybe after the 1 year grace period, Installers will be presented a screen in the IDE's Explorer interface listing how much it will cost them to "unlock" the product.

Something like that would be relatively easy to impliment, and it would allow Installers to load it for free for one year.

...but that's just my idea, though.

Back