VS C# 2005 Express & Distribution

enginious

Newcomer
Hi,

I am nearing completion of a project in Visual Studio C# 2005 Express, and wish to distribute the software.

Can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions on whether you can distribute an application created in an Express edition, and also whether you are able to distribute the .net 2.0 Framework with it or whether that has to be downloaded via the web.

I have read conflicting reports for both questions, and one suggested that you needed Standard Edition as a minimum before you can distribute an application.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Sparky.

You should read the license that you agreed to when you installed the software. I know that with C# Express 2003 you could freely distribute or even sell your software, just as with any other version, but the best answer to your question would be found in the actual license that was displayed in the installation wizard.

Thanks for the advice - I had read several sources on the internet which said you could distribute the software as a retail product, but then when I rang Microsoft, they seemed to suggest I had to purchase a copy of Standard Edition.

I'll have more of a look around.
Thanks,
Sparky.

The Spirit of Express

The internet is a big place. I'm sure if you share your program with a couple of friends, no one is going to care. What Microsoft doesn't want you doing is writing huge, professional products with their Express line and turning a massive profit with tools that they have supplied for "hobbyists and students". What little I have come across on the subject seems to indicate that if you are going to sell your program, They'd rather you not use the express editions. In most cases, though I don't think they can stop you.

It's only $100 for standard edition. Since you are creating a retail product, you'd probably be better off with an unrestricted, full version anyway. Or don't use Microsoft products; there are other IDE's and methods out there.

Thanks,

That was pretty much the impression I got after further research today too. Just out of interest where is the standard edition available for $100, as I'm in the UK and it seems to cost more like $300 as far as I can find.

I would certainly be more likely to buy it if it was that cheap.
Thanks for the advice,
Sparky.

Back