VS 2005 Purchasing Help

viper2843

Newcomer
I am a student and I have been using a copy of Visual Studio.NET 2003 Pro for a while now. I was able to purchase it for the student price of $99.00 US. I am now interested in buying the new Visual Studio 2005 and I am faced with a problem. The student discount for Visual Studio 2005 Pro is far less than it was for 2003. It is $749.95 US but the Standard Edition is only $49.95 US. What I am interested to know is if buying the Standard Edition will be enough for me having been using the Pro edition of the previous version. I use VB, C#, C++ and I do both desktop and mobile device programming. I do use a bunch of the pro features including XML and XML Schema. Does the standard version include a full set of Windows Forms controls? Will I lose any functionality with going to Standard Edition? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

It looks like the new standard is the old pro. What I mean is VS2005 standard is essentially at the same level as VS2003 Professional. Meanwhile VS2005 Pro is at about the same level as VS2003 Enterprise. VS2005 Express editions are the same as VS2003 standard.

Compare and decide for your self

Back