VS 2005 Customization

ehelin

Freshman
Hi:

I know its silly, but if you don't want "My Project" in every single project you do (in solution explorer), is there a way to rename this or delete this node? It wasn't present in VS 2003...

Thoughts would be appreciated...

Eric

Doesn't look like it can be removed. To clarify, this is the equivalent of the "Properties" node in the C# solution explorer. Unlike the C# "Properties," and characteristic of VB8, the files that ultimately compose "My Project" are hidden in the solution explorer and only editable through the designer. To rectify this and view the components of "My Project" click "Show All Files" under the project menu.

"My Project" must be there because it represents files that are part of the solution. (I would expect it to dissappear if all said files were to be deleted, but it doesn't). It doesn't take up extra space, however, since it replaces (and includes) AssemblyInfo.vb, and additionally includes the new Settings.settings, Application.MyApp, Application.MyApp.designer, and Resources.Resx files.

I have noticed in C# in projects that I converted from 2003, the AssemblyInfo file sits where it used to with no Properties folder while in newly created 2005 projects the properties folder is created and assembly info resides in there. I'm going to wager that so long as you have the files in your build it doesn't really matter where you put them.

You might even be able to modify the project template to not create that folder every time you create a new project. A good place to start would be on the web for some tutorials on how to make new projects. From there you should be able to figure out how to hack the existing VS projects, if it's possible.

Of course, VB is probably a different beast altogether.

The folder is a fake folder, its just some xml in the project file and can be easily removed simply by editing the project file in a text editor. The msbuild project syntax can let you do all sorts of things when you get started playing about with it

Wraith said:
The folder is a fake folder, its just some xml in the project file and can be easily removed simply by editing the project file in a text editor.
It looks like a real folder to me... (see attached picture)

Attachments

mskeel said:
It looks like a real folder to me... (see attached picture)
When you leave things in it yes. when you remove those items you'll find it strangely undeletable from the ide.

Back