VS 2003 an VS 2005 Pro on the same machine...

SteveoAtilla

Regular
Hey,

Here's a quesiton for all of you.

I currently have Visual Studio .NET 2003 on my machine for work. I am working on three different projects that may or may not be completed in the next few months (Can you say "scope creep"? I knew that you could!).

Anyway, I also have a brand-spanking-new copy of Visual Studio 2005 Professional in my hot little hands, and I need to know if I can have the two versions installed concurrently?

Will I be able to continue to develop the three apps that are in 2003, and start any new projects in 2005? Will there be conflicts, problems and general pain?

Thanks,

Kahuna

I've been doing just that since January with no issues. Of course I'm sinking about 5GB on MSDN data between the two of them (for offline documentation) but that's another story...

The one thing I found that you have to be careful of is third party library support. If you are an NUnit user, you'll need to also have two versions of NUnit to support your 2003 code. Little things like that are the only problems I’ve had.

In the past I've had 2003 and then installed 2005 without any problems. On my laptop I had 2005 and needed to install 2003 - that was not fun, had to then repair the 2005 installation and somethings still do not work (oddly enough everything in 2005 works fine it's 2003 that's got odd problems).

Back