Visual Studio Performance

rbulph

Junior Contributor
Is it my computer or is Visual Studio just a bit slow to respond? When I load it or unload it there is a period of about 30 seconds or so while my computer seems to be accessing the hard drive. It can take a similar length of time to build an application which is only 1MB in size before I can run it. My computer has a 1.8 GHz processor. Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

The main factor is one which you failed to mention. The amount of memory. Ideally VB sits happiest on 1 GB of RAM, especially if you're using 2005. I run it on 512 mb at work, its usable but rather slow.

Jay1b said:
The main factor is one which you failed to mention. The amount of memory. Ideally VB sits happiest on 1 GB of RAM, especially if you're using 2005. I run it on 512 mb at work, its usable but rather slow.

I've got 1GB of physical memory and 2GB total virtual memory. It still seems to struggle.

I have 1 gig of ram and a 2 Ghz AMD on my personal pc and I usually have one or two instances of C# Express and/or VS 2003 open, but lately I've had three or four open at a time. There is a short lag, 5 to 10 seconds, sometimes a little longer, when I switch from one to another that hasn't been used for a while, but that's it. I also usually have Photoshop and FireFox (with a dozen or so open tabs) open.

Having less virtual memory might speed things up a little because Visual Studio will be less lazy about garbage collection, but if you cut the virtual memory back too much you (obviously) might start running out of memory. Interestingly enough, my virtual memory usage tends to stay very close to the initial allocation I specified in the control panel.

I had 512mb of ram and yeah, it's very slow. After I added extra 1gb of ram the performance boost was huge.
But still there seems to be some problems with VS2005. After closing the program, sometimes the devenv.exe instance just keeps running. Have someone encountered the same problem?

I've noticed that VS 2005 is slower on larger projects. There's a lot going on behind the scenes when you make the slightest editing change (more than 2003), so a larger project leads to much slower response.

I have no performance issues on smaller projects.

They are supposed to be dealing with this in the SP (which is in beta now).

Back