Visual Studio .NET Installtion

IAmNew

Newcomer

Problem:

The install hangs when the bar is say about 1/40th of thw way done. ive
tried a minimal boot but same resualts!

ive looked around and ive found people with this problem but no fixes.

pleas help me:(

I reformat my HD about once a year to clean out junk and fix various problems. How long has it been since you had a "new" install or everything?

Are you sure it's hanging? .NET takes quite a long time to install (it took about 3 hours the first time I installed it, but it only takes about 30 minutes if you copy it to your HD first... that takes awhile, but it saves time in the future). You might just try waiting to see if it goes anywhere.

Also, you should shut off anti-virus stuff, and anything else that may be interfering.

Clean Format(bout 3 weeks)

It completly locksup no movment mouse locked up and all... i tried a minimal boot too.

First of all... always give full details!

What VS.NET version (2002 or 2003)?
Setup locks doing exactly what? Windows component update CD or VS CD? What CD? Copying files (what file)? Registering components (what component)?
Have you checked the setup log file (what is the last action logged there)?
What Windows do you have (2000, XP Home, XP Pro)?
Are you logged on as administrator?

Without this info any help is just a pure guess...

Regards,
Mario

VS.NET 2002

CD1

i didnt get the exact file but its during the main installtion, i use xp and where is th elog stored at?

Hi,

That log (300KB) is not "quite big"... nor it is the main log! The main installer log, called "VSMsiLog(...)" is about 50 MBytes (VS2003Pro). But nevermind.

The problem you experience is rare but was reported by a few other users. May have different causes:

- previous VS beta or release candidate versions; see
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312383

- need to reboot after installing Windows component update CD; only then proceed with VS CD1 install.

- antivirus (or script block software) trouble maker; disable before running setup.

- Windows Installer service corrupted or wrong version; for other versions of Windows you could reinstall Windows Installer 2.0; for XP is part of the OS, see next.

- Windows components missing or corrupted somehow; try reinstalling XP Service Pack 1 (one user reported that as solving this problem); only way to be sure is to perform another clean install (if you had disk images (Norton Ghost, etc.) that would be no problem, just one click away and 5 minutes).

Beside that, I see no reason for installing VS.NET 2002 when VS.NET 2003 is available. The upgrade is only $29! You have the Enterprise Architect version, so $29 is absolutly nothing. VS.NET 2002 is full of bugs... corrected on VS.NET 2003.

Only reason I can think for someone to install VS.NET 2002 today is not being a legal copy. If that is the case you need to check if that copy is ok (not fukked, ripped, or corrupted). To do that, try to install it on another computer.

If you own a licensed Enterprise Architect version, you will have no trouble getting specific help from Microsoft (some free incidents are usually included; if not paid support):

http://support.microsoft.com/

Back