Visual Studio isn't responding while saving

crazy-weasel

Newcomer
Hi!

I'm using Visual Studio since its first .net Version and never had any annoying problems.

Currently I'm working with VS 2005 Standard Edition. (I've got it quite after its release)

Since a few days I have a very disturbing problem. It takes very long (~15 secs) to save a file!

I tried the repair features of VS,.. I reinstalled it.. I defragmented my disk. Turned off the anti virus file scanner. Deinstalled the anti virus program..

Now I'm clueless. I can't imagine what's responsible for this.

It not just the immense amount of time which is needed to save a file. While this progress VS isn't responding!

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you, and nice holidays..

Merry X-mas :)

I had the same problem as you some time, however, in my opinion Microsoft products are not expected to be 100% stable at all, here's what I do:
1. Setup my Windows.
2. Install system drivers.
3. Install 3rd party applications, including VS.NET.
4. Use Norton Ghost to take an image from my system drive.
5. Restore this image every week (at most)!!!
I really don't believe that a Windows can be used more than one month without losing performance and decreasing speed! :D

I had a very stable for at least 6 months! But one month ago I reinstalled it. So it's quite fresh. But as you said, after one month it looses performance. *g*

Well.. just VS is affected.

Oh and yes. Every time I setup my windows, I think I should make an image,.. but every time I forgot it. :D

Maybe I should do it now.

Out of interest what AV program were you using? Are you sure you haven't got any virus / malware on your system that could be causing IO problems? It might be worth using something like filemon or process explorer from www.sysinternals.com to see if there are any problems when opening / saving files.

Out of interest what OS are you using? Have you recently installed any other applications (especially one that may have a background file monitor) or patches?

I used the one from http://www.free-av.com/ but currently I've installed AVG.

I've tried Procmon, but I'm a little bit overstrained. VS procudes a lot of entries in this log.. I'm not able to analyze this stuff.

I've just had an idea. I created a new user account and started VS with this. I can't realize why, but there VS is behaving normal!

So. I wasn't able to find out what was wrong with my useraccount, so I deleted the old one and created a new one. (Yes, I saved all important data :rolleyes:)

Now everything works fine.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Happy new year.. =) (in a few days.. )

Back