Visual Basic / VPN Network

lothos12345

Junior Contributor
I have written a Visual Basic.NET application. It's intent is to run on a VPN Server, that means that the user are going to have severly restricted abilities to include not even being able to write to a directory. The way around this was to impersonate an administrator log on at the run of the application. This has caused another problem when the user has VPN in from home and is starting to use this application everything is fine until they try to print from this application. My supervisor tells me that the print out should be printed out on their printer at home and this is automatically handled by the VPN serves in otherwords we do not have to worry about it in code but he thinks that since we are impersonating an administrator logon this impersonation stops this from working correctly. We need to impersonate an adminstrator in order to write to the directory and to get the process name which we do as well. If we do not impersonate an administrator it fails. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Impersonation

It may be possible to run the application under the user account and use impersonation whenever administrator (or any other) priviledges are required. I have tried this approach myself, but decided not to use it before I was able to get anything working. However, this page at The Code Project looks promising.

Good luck :cool:

Back