Visual Basic Conversion

rbulph

Junior Contributor
I understand that VB.Net comes with a utility to convert VB6 code into VB.Net code. I was wondering if anyone had had any experience of using this, and, if so, how effective it is.

I also understand that the utility doesn't do everything that is needed. If you have quite a large and complicated program (say around 30,000 lines with half a dozen dlls), can you give an estimate of how much time it would take a developer to finalise the conversion?

The converter produces a non standard code, like default instances and things like that from VB6 that shouldnt be used in .NET. Most people here will not suggest using it. If your program is very big and works then you shouldnt have to convert it. If its small and could use some of the new functionality then you could rewrite it yourself.

I have used the conversion util on quite a large application. I knew I was going to have to port it across, so followed M$ ideas on how to keep to at a standard that would allow an easier conversion. My app was about the same size as you have mentioned, and took probly bout a week to move across to a basic version.

The app was mostly code based (server engine) so not many dependencies on forms (which you have to basically rewrite from scratch). You may also find that some of your code needs re-writing just to use the new methods (like inheritance was a biggie for me).

You gain new issues like 3rd party controls, that have to be either in .net or prey they work well with an Interop version. Dlls are loaded differently, and give you a few hassles, but its a one of thing to fix. .Net uses multithreading as a standard, so watch out for timers and events happening at the same time, especially if you use 3rd party controls created in .net.

Thanks. Inheritance would be good to be able to use, but I think I'll give conversion a miss for now, at least.

Back