viewing an aspx web page

cpopham

Junior Contributor
I have created a simple web form. When I compile it, it opens a browser and displays just fine. Now when I navigate to it and open the page with internet explorer only my plain label displays. The label that uses a little code in the page_init sub procedure does not display at all. So what is wrong with it?

Why can I not get it display correctly by opening it with Internet Explorer?

Chester

How are you opening the page? are you just double clicking the file or using http://localhost/... followed by the virtual path to the page?

If you do not use localhost the ASP.NET engine will not process it.

Okay I just stuck it out on the webserver and it is doing the same thing. I am navigating to it using www.etc. I am not sure if the framework is installed on our server, but if it is not installed would I even get the palin label with the text "A Simple Web Form" to display?

Chester

Im not sure what would happen if you dont have the framework installed....if you have IIS 6.0 installed then the .net framework should be there.

If you debug it on your machine(hitting F5) then it should bring up an instance of IE and your page. the titlebar will show you what path you should use locally to view the page. it should be something like: http://localhost/project/filename

www.etc doesnt make sense ..... is that supposed to be a registered domain?

Yes on local host it works fine now. When I put it out in a test folder on the internet, only the plain label is showing. I navigate to it on the internet just like going to any other page, but it is not coming up right. I am not sure what Internet server we use. It is hadnled by another dept. I just have a test folder on it.

Chester

I would find out from them if they are running IIS 6 or not....if you have some content coming up on it but not your aspx stuff then its probably not IIS 6....if you view the source of the page then you will probably see your asp.net code that didnt get processed by the server.

Information missing

A couple of thing to look at...

1. Framework installed on the server and ASP.NET installed also (aspnet_regiis.exe -i <== to install asp.net to the IIS)
  2. Which version of IIS your server has ?
  3. Does your web app are in the "Application Root base" ? That means that when you create a new app with IIS, there might be some problem with Web.Config not being in the root based of the application (this happen when your app is in a sub-folder not "registered" as an application folder.
Look at all this. Come back to us with information and we'll be able to help you. The more detail you give, the more accurate are our answer. :)

Have a nice day !

It finally worked on my localhost the way it was suppose to. So I more than likely, it has to be soemthing with the webserver. I am checking to see what they use for a webserver here and the version info.

Chester

Back