View Windows .Net app via Browser

azcegarman

Newcomer
Hi,

a newbie to VB.Net in every sense of the word. And so I have a newbie style question ....

Is it possible to run a .NET windows Application via a Browser session started via an Html link?

i.e. I have a windows application that I have running on a local PC and want to be able to have someone at a remote location (i.e. over the corporate lan) be able to view and use. This would be for training and status purposes and I wish to avoid the need to download the most current versions' MSI and install on the local machine. The reason for avoiding the download/install is that for 99% of the non-developer workstations, the ability to install software have been restricted to updates etc.

Thanks!

I thought the best approach would be to provide a link on a webpage hosted on the windows app host pc. This link would open a browser window and within that browser window would be the Windows .Net app. This windows app is currently being developed and I want to be able to provide a functional point of reference for those who will be training other as well as a status ..as it were.

Is this possible?

Thanks

.Net Win App via Browser

thenerd said:
Yes, it's possible to run a .NET program from a browser. Problem being, .NET will reduce a lot of it's functionality for security purposes.
How much functionality will be lost? I am not concerned about the security since the application will require a valid login and password even at this point. As for the data, all the data is 'test data' and is entered by those training and/or evaluating.
What steps do I need to talk in order to achieve this goal?

Thanks,

thenerd said:
Yes, it's possible to run a .NET program from a browser. Problem being, .NET will reduce a lot of it's functionality for security purposes.
How will it do that? Won't it just download and still run locally? You can't actually run it through the browser or over a network, right? I guess you could set up an applet or something? Will that really help? It would still have to run client side which defeats the purpose, yes? Becuase if it can be run client side there isn't a problem..

Is it all a single exe? Maybe you don't actually need to install it..

Another possiblity might of been to use .Net to render (server side) web-pages for you, but I assume since you are posting in the Windows Forms forum you have a direct need to be able to show/run a form over the network, through a browser. It sounds like forcing a windows form to do this would be a hack. The good news is you can do some pretty amazing stuff with browsers these days (check out the cool stuff with gmail)...too bad your app is already written.

mskeel said:
How will it do that? Won't it just download and still run locally? You can't actually run it through the browser or over a network, right? I guess you could set up an applet or something? Will that really help? It would still have to run client side which defeats the purpose, yes? Becuase if it can be run client side there isn't a problem..

Is it all a single exe? Maybe you don't actually need to install it..

Another possiblity might of been to use .Net to render (server side) web-pages for you, but I assume since you are posting in the Windows Forms forum you have a direct need to be able to show/run a form over the network, through a browser. It sounds like forcing a windows form to do this would be a hack. The good news is you can do some pretty amazing stuff with browsers these days (check out the cool stuff with gmail)...too bad your app is already written.

Hi,

Tha app is written in a windows style rather than web as per the system requirements so that is not an option. Creating a hack to make this possible isnt a task I want to undertake just for this purpose.

Based upon my web searches and responses to this thread, it doenst seem possible to provide this sort of functionality simply and easily.

Thanks,

.Net via IE Browser etc

Hi,
Thanks for the link to the FTPOnline site, I will check that out.
*returns from visiting site*
I read the article in question and will be doing a test of that process. Hopefully it will work although I am not certain that the security levels of those viewing the app will be able to run the DLL's etc.

Thanks again for the help!

Back