Video playback in Direct3D.

Something Sexy

Newcomer
Alright here is my dilemma. This project I am working on is for school. Right now I have a managed Direct3D application (using their Framework) with the CustomUI's interface. What I need to do is when a button is clicked, clear the screen then play a AVI in the window. As we all know DirectShow is a piece of crap. I would like to use the AudioVideoPlayBack, but that seems to only work in Windows.Forms. If possible I don't want to have to use forms. I saw a bit of information on rendering it with a texture, but from what I see that code is pretty broken and a pain the *** to use. So I am in the position where I am not sure where to head. An idea would be if I could embedded a Windows.Form.Panel in my Direct3D screen some how and then render the video in there, any feedback on if that is possible would be great. If anyone has any ideas or have done something similar and can provide feedback, that would be great. Thanks.

I believe with 3DS Max you can apply an .AVI as a texture to a primitive (or anything else for that matter) and then load the mesh, and move the camera appropriately.

If you can't do that, I'm unsure as to how to approach this issue from another direction.

Nate Bross said:
I believe with 3DS Max you can apply an .AVI as a texture to a primitive (or anything else for that matter) and then load the mesh, and move the camera appropriately.

If you can't do that, I'm unsure as to how to approach this issue from another direction.

That is a very interesting thought. I might have to investigate that. Now would the video play right when you load the mesh and render it I assume?

It is definitely worth a shot, I will try and it out and let you know how it goes. Any other suggestions out there are still weclome.

Back