VB.NET Package and Deployment Problem

pinky

Newcomer
Can someone plz help me? I have created an application that runs great on the system that I built it on but when I package and deploy it on a different system it won't launch. Generally when this happens I have identified issues with things such as static connections to a database in a directory that doesn't exist on the other system or something like this.

However, I don't receive any type of error like that and I am certain that all the files required for the program and their dependencies have been included in the package.

The installation on any other system runs seemingly flawless without error but when I attempt to launch the program it crashes immediately without even loading the GUI.

The error I am getting is "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled."
It then gives me a process id=0x176c (5996), and Thread id=0x984 (2436).

Deploying can't be this difficult, in fact I haven't had this much trouble with any of my previous packages.

Question: All VB.NET projects have a bin and obj directory by default. The Obj directory has either a debug or release or both directories. When deploying a project, what directory(s) should be included? Aside from any others that may be created such as help directories or whatever else you may want to add to the structure of the program?

PLZ HELP! :o

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've had the same problem with a deployed app. Windows updates, un/re-install of both .NET and the app did not help.

I compiled again and things worked fine. So I thought I just had a buggered assembly.

You may want to try just copying your debug or release folder over and run by clicking the .exe. You don't need anything else, except .NET installed on the machine, or any other folders you create for help, images etc.

Back