Using Framework 2.0 Components in Visual Studio 2003

teixeira

Regular
Hi,

I wanna use a FrameWork 2.0 Component in Visual Studio 2003 (C#), is it easy and possible?
I wanna use the FrameWork 2.0 SerialPort component (it has to be the component, not with other serial port components) in my C# 2003 application i and don't know how to do this.

Any help will be welcome.

rgds
Tiago Teixeira

In the limited experimentation I've don so far, taking 2.0 assemblies to 1.1 will not work. Taking 1.1 assemblies to 2.0 will work, but there may be warnings when you compile the 2.0 program that uses them. If you were to rebuild the 2.0 assembly for 1.1 then it would probably work for a 1.1 program.

I am not sure, but ILMerge may be able to convert the version of a DLL or EXE. Just don't quote me on that. Search microsoft.com for ILMerge.

From the ILMerge website.
The v2.0 version of ILMerge runs in the v2.0 .NET Runtime, but it is also able to merge v1 or v1.1 assemblies. However, it can merge PDB files only for v2 assemblies. The v1.1 version of ILMerge can only process assemblies built in the v1.1 runtime (but does merge PDB files for those assemblies).
So it looks like that is not going to work in this case.

That tool looks really sweet, though. Excellent find.

Back