URGENT:: Header size too large

ashutosh9910

Freshman
Hi all,

I am facing a strange problem with my ASP.NEt page.

It throws an error 500: Header size too large whenever accessed.
The problem which I foresee with this page is that it has too many controls on it. Basically the page is a checklist page with many questions on it. Now depending on checklist a user selects there are variable number of questions. If the questions are less then the page loads easily with no problem but if the page has more questions, which obviously means more controls then it throws error 500 page stating that the header size is too large.

The page shows up fine if accessed locally but the problem arises if it is viewed from outside the firewall.

Secondly the same problem seems to be leading to another problem. In thesame scenario, it also seems to end the Session of the logged in user.

Can someone help out. Its kinda urgent.

Thanks in advance.
Ashutosh

I'm not sure what information asp.net saves in the header...but...

1. how about splitting up the questions into different pages?
2. shutting off viewstate?

what kind of controls are you using? how about using just client side controls?

Diesel said:
I'm not sure what information asp.net saves in the header...but...

what kind of controls are you using? how about using just client side controls?

Hi Diesel,

Thanks for the reply. BTW below is the screenshot of the part of the page.
This is a repeater control that contains all the controls shown in the screenshot for question number 1.
Now onto your suggestions:

Not possible since we have a kind of parent child relationship among the questions as shown in the screenshot. Q1 can have as many questions as possible and there is no limit for it.

Hense pagination is not possible since we are indenting the questions and if answer to the parent question is NO then we dont show the child question.

Not possible since there are quite a lot of these controls that maintain their viewstate and values from them are used to update the information required.

More importantly, at times the page does show up fine. Surprisingly, doing a Response.Write(Session("Username")) gives me correct value after completion of page load operation.
It shows that the values are lost somewhere after pageload event.

I m confused???
:confused:

Ashutosh

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Diesel,

thanks for the help.

I got the issue resolved by moving all the Javascript code from that page to a seperate JS file and shredding a few controls off the page.

Thanks for the time.

Ashutosh

Back