UNC Security Problem

oafc0000

Newcomer
I am having some problems with a system I have created.

I have given the system full trust permissions and when I log in as administrator and use the system it works fine. When a user logs in and trys to use the system it falls over saying it can not access the drive.

I am using unc (\\serer\folder) in my code and all users have access to the drives so why wont vb.net let me access the system under a normal user. We work the same in VB6 and have no problems.

thanks in advanced

What code is using the unc path (loading a file, an image, a database, etc.)? Have you tried having the person that is haiving problems type that path in the "Start->Run" box? It should come up with explorer. If it prompts you for a username/password, then they're not authenticated.

-Nerseus

Sorry about not giving enough info

objXL.Workbooks.Open("\\Server\Customer_Services\Template\CS_Stats_Template.xls")

is the line that is giving me a problem. I am opening a excel document

Im not asked for a password etc it just fails and says it can not resolve it.

Thanks

Im not asked for a password etc it just fails and says it can not resolve it.

You mean you get this when you type in that path from Start->Run? If so, it's not a .NET issue but a network issue. If you can reach it from Start->Run then I see no reason why .NET would handle it differently, unless you're running a web-based WinForm app (or something similar) which might have restrictions. But, if you're just giving your user an executable (either directly or installed through a setup program - but NOT through the web), then it should be ok.

-Nerseus

Back