Unable to browse asp.net website on IIS

LiLo

Freshman
Hi

I am using IIS 5.1 on WinXp. I have created an Asp.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. Asp.Net 2.0 was used.

I shared the folder containing the website on IIS and it is added to the 'Default Website' folder under the 'Websites' folder in IIS. The folder's name is LiveEventPortal.

When I opened the folder in IIS and tried to broswse the ASP.Net master page (right click -> browse), IE appeared and displayed an error message.

Server Error in '/LiveEventPortal' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed to access IIS metabase.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

What could be the problem and how to enable the master page to display correctly?
I guess that the problem lies with the metabase, although i'm not sure what a metabase is.
:confused:

Do you know what user account the application is running under on the IIS box? Also you needto make sure the Virtual Directory is configured as an application under IIS before it will work with .Net.

Back