UML code generator...

Mothra

Centurion
Hey, does anyone know if there is a way to generate code from a Visio UML diagram if you don't have the Ent. Architect Edition? I'd just like to know before I go through all the trouble of adding the multitude of detail to my diagram in hopes to use a code generator.

I have the EA edition so I don't know, but you could probably find out by starting a new UML drawing then see if you have the following menu entry:
UML->Code->Generate...

I like it for the one time code-generation after the initial design phase. Having said that, if I didn't get it for free, I wouldn't be willing to pay for it. If I could buy a UML tool I'd get Rational's XDE which support round-trip engineering and side-by-side model/code view. It looks sweet, but unfortunately I'm stuck with my free Visio.

I use Visio EA as well.

I would much rather have a program that supports round-trip engineering.

I noticed that Visio has quite a few quirks when it comes to design.

I.E.: it places all "Imports" code within the class, which VS.NET complains about.

It also puts all of the namespaces/classes you create within a namespace called TopPackage which I had to manually go through and remove because i didnt want this.

It is very beneficial to look at all of your objects to start with and then bring it into vs.net as it allows me to look at everything at once and I have caught quite a few problems before going to actual coding.

my 2 cents! :)

Back