ToolstripSplitButton whinge

rbulph

Junior Contributor
I have two very similar operations that I want to be made available by selecting a toolbar button. Because they're so similar it seems a waste to have two buttons for them. What would be ideal would be to have a ToolstripSplitButton with two menu items for selecting between the operations. I would change the image on the button slightly to reflect which had been chosen. But the ToostripSplitButton can't be Checked to show that it has been selected. This is so frustrating. Any ideas for other ways to present the options to the user?

Could you not just display the relevant images next to the menu items, that way the button image would match with the menu item.

That's a good idea, and I hadn't thought of that. But it doesn't answer my question does it? I still have the problem that the ToolStripSplitButton can't be checked. I suppose what I can do is have a ToolStripDropDownButton (which also can't be checked) with no image so that just the dropdown icon shows and have that immediately to the right of a ToolStripButton. Its menus can, as you suggest have the relevant images so it's clear they relate to the ToolStripButton which will always show one of them. Doesn't look too bad.

Back