The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000135) [C#]

Shaitan00

Junior Contributor
Guys ... not so funny problem occuring ...
I wrote a program (over the past 3 months) which is in its final stages (beta testing), my first course of action was to try running it on another machine other then the one used to develop the software. This was meat with some rather negative results.
Error Message: the application failed to initialize properly (0xc000135). Click OK to Terminate
Now I have another machine (with VS.NET installed, same version) and tested it, works fine - so problem is localized to the machine that doesn't have VS.NET installed (and I don't have another non-devel station to test with)

My current system details (on the machine where it was coded, compiled, tested, and works):
OS = Windows XP Pro SP2
Os Updates = All Done and Rebooted
Microsoft Development Environment Version = 7.1.3088
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version = 1.1.4322 SP1
(not sure if there is anything else you need to know)

The Machine I am testing on:
OS = Windows XP Pro SP2
Os Updates = All Done and Rebooted
Non Development (Visual Studios) Software installed at all (but shouldn't it still have the .NET Framework?)

Now I was under the impression that I only needed Windows XP Professional SP2 (which had .NET framework already integrated, but after searching on the machine I can't find any mention of dotnet anywhere) so I pray this is not a dependancy issue.

But other than that - what could it be? Does it require a special Microsoft Download? Is there some kind of unknown dependency? Is there a way for me to CHECK what it needs (meaning what are the dependencies) so I can determine where in my code I can start looking?

Any clues? This is pretty much a FATAL error, not really getting a warm fuzzy feeling...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whether the .Net framework is part of SP2 I couldn't tell you, but what I can tell you is that on my PC it appears seperately on the Add/Remove programs dialog under 'Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1'. So I would check the test machine to see if it has it listed. If not try downloading the installer and test your app again.

Cags: That is what I found odd - I thought it would be there also (integrated into Windows XP SP1 or something - so it has to be in SP2)... But I checked the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and ... it isn't there ??????

If a Microsoft download is necessary, do you know exactly what I need?
Framework 2.0 ? (dotnet.exe) on MSDN webpage? I can't find it.....

Is there anyway I can see where the dependencies occur? So I can maybe remove those sections from my code?

IIRC the framework is included in the CD version of SP but not the downloadable version, you can get the framework runtime from here. If the application was developed against the 1.1 framework that is what you need to install on the test PC and ultimately any PCs that will run your application.

PlausiblyDamp: Much appreciated - just a couple of quick questions

1) - Which .NET Framework should I recommend? Wouldn't it be best to release .Net 2.0 (newest) one instead of 1.1? Do you know where I can see what are the differences between 1.1 and 2.0 to see if my program would be affected? OR is there a way for me to install 2.0 and compile (with VS2003) at .NET 2.0 to ensure it compiles (and therefore works?)

2) I assume (just want to be sure) that it is comptly legal to distribute this right?

THANKS!

Last edited:
In answer to 2, I believe its completely legal, infact i'm sure it should be possible to wrap it into the intall package of your application, but i've never created a proper distribution package so I don't know how.

Cags said:
In answer to 2, I believe its completely legal, infact i'm sure it should be possible to wrap it into the intall package of your application, but i've never created a proper distribution package so I don't know how.
Read the license. I believe that dotnetfx.exe is freely distributable, but the individual files are not.
Answer to 1: It depends on your specific needs.

Targeting 1.1 means that you need to develop with VS 2003 and and older version of the framework, but you can reach out to a greater common denominator; many of your users might have version 1.1 installed, but not version 2.0. This may or may not be a problem. It is a big download, but if your software is deployed via CD, you can create a deployment project and it becomes less of an issue.

If you target 2.0, though, you get all the benefits of VS 2005 and .Net 2.0.

Back