texture/surface performance please help!

Edoll

Newcomer
Hi guys, i'm having a very nasty problem, i'm doing a 2d game in dx.. but since ineed transparancy i need to use textures.. the problem however is i'm using 32x32 tiles in a 640*480 resolution, the problem kicks in at my background, it doesnt need transparancy but i cant think of any FAST method to copy the tile to the screen, right now i'm using a directx sprite object, this seems to be the fastest way possible, i tried loading the background to surfaces instead of textures and then just copyrect' em, however i've learned that the surfaes are kept in system ram and to copy 20*15 tiles from ram to backbuffer seems to be way slower then rendering it using the sprite object.. now my question would be what is the fastest way to get that much tiles on screen? is there a way to put surfaces in video mem so copyrects should be way faster.. or is there a way to just "copy" the texture to screen without rendering it?

'this is quite a big problem the game is doing great but the performance hit is substantial when i use my zoom out function (effectivly doubling the amount of tiles that are drawn) i can only get good framerates (even on a fast computer) with the background turned off :( please help! thanks in advance :)

Back