Suggestions for implementing a 3D tile-based map?

mattguest

Newcomer
Hello everyone, I've been programming for a very long time but haven't touched any game related code since the 90s when I did a few demo games in c and pascal. It's piqued my interest again and so I started playing around with directx in my spare time.

I want to go ahead with an idea I have for a top down 3d tile-based game, meaning that it has a tile based look-down feel like legend of zelda, but the tiles are 3D objects.

What I'd like to be able to do is combine the tiles on a map into a single mesh, so that there are no seams. I figure if I make all the tiles have junction points, vertextes that are in the same place on each tile, then I should be able somehow to weld the matching vertexes on two adjacent tile meshes in realtime to form one larger mesh.

Does anyone know where I might look to begin something like this? The welding of the points I mean, I'm fully confident I can get the meshes on the screen after that.

Thanks!
-Matt

I have considered the possibility of a tile-based 3D game, but unfortunately, 3D graphics do not generally lend themselves to tile-based environments. It would be incredibly complex to create "tiles" with vertecies expected to line up unless the "tiles" are very plain. I have seen two tile-based 3D games that I can think of. One is a Blaster Master sequel for PlayStation. The seams between the tiles were visible not only because the lighting and textures didn't line up exactly right, but also "jaggies" would sometimes cause faint dotted lines between tiles (which, in my experience, only becomes worse with anti-aliasing). Of course, there is the Sims, which uses an orthagonal projection, but the logic involved in joining walls, fences, and the ground at different heights is far from simple, not to mention that fences, walls, and floors can not be applied over ground with varying heights.

So my advice on your 3D tiled game would be use an orthagonal projection and set aside lots of time. I'm not trying to discourage you; I just want to point out that there are some difficult challenges involved in what you want to do.

Your right it certainly wouldn't be simple to get a decent 3d tile based system working, but its not as uncommon as you might think. An example of a (reasonably) modern game that uses one is Neverwinter Nights. I realise this might not directly help the poster but maybe if you look into the map creation tool of a game that uses a 3d tile system you will get some inspiration.

Back