Stupid VS.net debugging or is it me ?

DevNine

Newcomer
Stupid VS.net: function debugging or is it me ?

Hi,
I'm using VS.net on Windows 2000 to write and debug c++ programs.My problem is when it comes to debugging.I want to step through the application and watch the contents of the variables.This works fine until I start get to a function call.This hightlights the current line of code but then leaves my code and jumps into the libraries that I use.

I then have to step through each line of ostream and the dissasssembly.I can't figure out how to stop this.All I want to do is debug MY code not and not have to go through the libraries code.Anyone offer any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Just noticed that VS.net ONLY jumps to disassembly debugging when I call a function.Below is my code.Is there a problem with my prototypes or the way I call my functions ? The code compiles fine :(

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
void CharToBin (char); // function converts the ascii value of char to binary
void DecToHex (char); // function converts the ascii value of char to hexadecimal

int main ()
{
char c;
character:" ;
cin >> c ;
cout << "sasdasd";
CharToBin (c);
}

//*****CharToBin : Convert decimal to binary ***********
void CharToBin (char c)...........
{

I tried both a Win32 Console project (unmanaged) and a .NET Console project (managed). It worked find for me. I put a breakpoint on the call to CharToBin (mine just casts c to an int) and pressed F11 and it stepped right into CharToBin.

I'm not sure what the following line does. I removed it from my test:
Code:
character:" ;
It won't compile with it in.

Maybe there's a project property that you've changed (I have no idea). I have a default setup of C++ .NET with only a few extra Library directories (Tools->Options->Projects->C++ Directories).

Can you post your test app?

-Nerseus

Back