Studio.net Messes up icons

snarfblam

Ultimate Contributor
I've made a program with Visual Basic.net. After I compile it, I open the executable to include a manifest file as a recource so that my controls are all Windows Xp style.

The program's icon, however, has a windows Xp Icon format (32 bit A8R8G8B8). When I open the executable, add the manifest, and save the executable, the program's icon no longer appears in the 32-bit format, but instead, in the 8-bit format. (The icon has 4-bit, 8-bit, and 32-bit formats at 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 48x48 resolutions.) I've noticed that the Studio.net icon editor doesn't support icons with alpha channels, and I'm wondering if that might be related.

After adding the manifest, I've opened up the program in a separate icon editor. The 32-bit format is still present in the icon, it just isn't displaying it in explorer.

Also, when I run the program, in the title bar of the window, the icon DOES appear in the 32-bit format. Just not in explorer.

I can try this tomorrow but I wonder... have you tried using a stand-alone manifest file to see if it behaves the same as if you embed the file? If you need a copy of a simple manifest file let me know - I can send you one tomorrow.

-nerseus

I've been using an external manifest file and it has been working exactly as one would expect.

The problem comes about when I open an exe file with studio, and edit and save it. Even if I don't add the manifest, the icon still shows in 8-bit in explorer. I really doubt that this problem is related to the manifest. I just think studio.net has issues with 32-bit icons, but i really dont know; it could be something else

I carefully checked the contents of the manifest file that is included in the msdn help file, it says nothing about the icon. The issue, I think, is the recource editor.

Back