Starting a web server - NEWBIE QUESTION

JumpyNET

Centurion
How do I get a web server up and running?

So far I've created a very simple .aspx project and I've found a way to test it by clicking the right mouse button on the main file and selecting "view in browser". What do I need to do to, that I can acces it from another computer on my home network? Does it work over the internet as well?

I'm using VS 2005 Express!

Yes I have Windows XP Professional. So I installed IIS, added a virtual directory there with a simple "Hello.htm" file. But when I try to browse my new webpage, internet explorer tells me that I don't have priviledges to acces that page. I don't think it's a firewall issue because I can access the other folder (some sort of help page) that was there on default. I tried to tinker with the properties, but it didn't help. What should I do?

I'm also curious about running a web server on Windows XP Home as well. Any ideas how I can accomplish that?

Are you able to access the page from the computer that is running IIS? In the IIS settings, you will probably need to make sure "Anonymous Access" is enabled and also that "Integrated Windows authentication" is enabled for "Authenticated access".

As for XP Home, it doesn't come with IIS, so you might have to try Apache (http://www.apache.org/). I have not worked with it myself, but I believe there are some plugins for handling the ASP.NET, although ASP.NET 2.0 support may not be available yet. I think you will have to do some research on this one.

tfowler said:
Are you able to access the page from the computer that is running IIS? In the IIS settings, you will probably need to make sure "Anonymous Access" is enabled and also that "Integrated Windows authentication" is enabled for "Authenticated access".

Yeas I now can acces the page from the computer that is runnins IIS by using this address:
http://localhost/WebSite1/Default.htm

But if I change localhost to my IP address the browser starts asking for password. How can I give acces to everyone with out a password?

I'm not completely sure what the problem is, but you might want to check the "Sharing" and "Web Sharing" settings on your "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot" folder. Again, I am working in a corporate intranet environment where everyone has network logins, and they are all running Windows 2000 or XP Pro.

On my "Web Sharing" tab, I have:
"Share on:" = "Default Web Site"
"Share this folder" is checked
Aliases: "/"

But all of that probably should have been set up by default when you installed IIS. Other than those settings, the only other one that I can think of that would effect anything is the "Anonymous access" setting on the IIS "Default Web Site". It should be checked and you should have something like:
User name: "IUSR_<your computer name>"
Password: <password for the account>
Allow IIS to control password: checked

If not, you can browse for the IUSR account.

Sorry I don't have a definitive fix. Network security issues are always a little hard to figure out.

Todd

Back