Speech Recognition using VB.NET & SAPI5.1

orb1234

Newcomer
Hi,
I'm currently developing a speech recognition application. I would like to know if and how is it possible, using the MS SAPI5.1, to record user defined phrases (and therefor language independent) and then use them as voice commands. i.e. initially record user defined words and later compare a user command to that list of pre-recorded phrases. The application performs an action according to a match.
I'm trying to avoid using the Speech-to-text capabilities of the SAPI. I just want to record the user and then compare a new voice input to the initial recording.
I started writing the application in VB.NET.
I assume the end user uses Windows XP.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanx

Microsoft has a speech SDK for .NET which may help you.
The SDK and info can be found here. There is also some mention for a server, but you dont need that. The SpeechSDK is very cool in my opinion...

Thanks, but it doesn't help me with my need of a "word trainer". ;)
The last SDK you pointed out requires Visual Studio .NET 2003 (I have the 2002 version), and I couldn't find any solution to my problem in it's documentation.
A sample application, code sample or a reference will help me a lot.
Thanx

-----------------------
orb1234

Microsoft likes to update there IDE's and then restrict their new products to use the current version of the IDE. So anyone who dropped the dime for the earlier version gets left out in the end.

Sorry about that....

try using msAgent.. they are characters that appear on your screen to talk to you(^_^)

www.microsoft.com/msagent

if you hold ScrollLock, they can listen to ur voice and you command them,

I used to be able to do this in VB6(MS needs to release a new version of MSAgent)

here's another app which is useful (im not sure if it has speech recognition, but it does have MSAgent)

www.bellcraft.com/mash

MSAgent itself doesn't allow you to talk to them. You need both a TTS (text to speech) engine to allow them to speak to you, and the speech recognition engine to be able to talk to them.

allright, thanks
but the issue is - do you know for sure that this SDK answers my needs or maybe do you know of another solution like a DLL or OCX that can give me what I need?
(Again - comparison between user recorded phrases - much like its done on voice enabled PDAs)

note:
during my wandering the web I ran across an item called VoiceAction from "united research-labs" that offers exactly what I need but it is outdated and I had problems using it on winXP and .NET.

In my opinion, the SpeechSDK has the best voice recognition i have ever used. On the same web page that i created with the SDK, 5 different people (Its all i tested) can talk to it w/out having to learn their voice and it works great. I *think* its at least worth looking into if you have VS.NET 2003.

hi all...i need help..i am doin speech recognition in VB.NET for arabic language. i am confused how i should start. please help me...i need all of ur guides...thanks

Back