Source code editor

pgerard

Newcomer
Hi,

For a project I am working on, I need to implement a source code editor in VB .Net (for VB .Net code). Nothing really fancy, but stuff such as indentation, colors for keywords, grouping, line numbering ...

As I never done anything like that, I am am looking for an exemple of a source code editor which could point me in the right direction?

Does anyone have any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre

I recommend that you do a search on Google for the 'CodeSense'
control; it does all that you need here, I believe. It has built in
syntax coloring, line numbers, etc. Anything other than that could
probably be implemented fairly easily. If by 'grouping' you mean the
#Region tags, that's quite a bit harder and is probably more trouble
than it's worth. It would mean you wouldn't be able to use the CodeSense
control and would have to write your own control.

There are many such controls around, including a few for .NET which are very slow. The best one (still) is an ActiveX control called CodeMax. Someone made a derivation of CodeMax called CodeSense which is also ok, as VolteFace said.

Either will probably suit your needs.

Oh, by the way, stay away from the SyncFusion one, it's slow as hell.

Thanks to both of you.

I have been looking into CodeMax/CodeSense. It is not supported any more but I have managed to find it on the codemax Yahoo group.

Divil, you wrote that there are some such controls for .Net, would you have any name?

Speed is not such a problem and a .Net control would be easier to implement for me.... I don't want to have to dive in C++ code ... C# is difficult enough for me

You don't have to dive in to any such code, you can simply stick the control on your form the same as you would a .net one. You found the CodeMax Yahoo group, that's good. Get the latest one from there and start using it :)

SyncFusion made a .net syntax highlighting control, but I found it too slow and unresponsive to use.

Back