soap and filesize limitations

inzo21

Regular
Hello all,

I'm in the process of developing an app that transfers files to and from a file server via web services. I know that to use web services, you can either break the file up in chunks that are less then 4 MB or set the maxlength property. This is primary to protect against DOS attacks and help with the SOAP processing. Now, the question.

Is this technique applicable only for incoming requests - i.e. posting to the file server web service. What I want to know is if I need to reverse the process when a uses wants to download a file from the file server? As the request would be getting a file, is there a way to allow downloads to be downloaded with having to break them up on the file server and reassemble them on the client?

thanx in advance.

inzo

got it!

Okay - for all those reading.

The httpruntime element that you can configure / set in the web.config file for web services, applies only towards uploads according to msdn. Thus I test this by doing a file transfer app that transfers to a web service that only accepts 1 mb files. In reverse, I was able to pull files larger than 1 mb (tested 30mb) off of the server byte copying a simple byte array from the web service to the client machine.

just an fyi for everyone.

inzo

Back