Smooth graphics

Miura

Freshman
Hi,

I'm trying to make a pagefliping in a program, but I can't find any information about this:

Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Donotwait )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Even )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Interval2 )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Interval3 )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Interval4 )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,NoVSync )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Odd )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Stereo )
Surface.flip(Backbuffer,Wait )

Thanks,
Miura

Unfortunately, the help isn't much help for this one. I know that Wait and DoNotWait are the two most common and refer to whether the flip should happen immediately, or wait for all previous drawing to be complete (you can look at IDirectDrawSurface::Flip in the C++ documentation).

The NoVSync is probably related to the monitor's vertical retrace. I say probably because DirectDraw is a bit older and they've since moved the VSync related params to somewhere else. Normally, you want to wait on the retrace to prevent "tearing", especially in 2D graphics where you're likely to have more straight lines and thus the tearing would be more apparent. A monitor draws with a beam of light from top left to bottom right. If you don't wait, your image may "tear" because the top half will draw from a different point of view than the bottom. If you do wait, you're locking yourself into a framerate no greater than the monitor's refresh rate (usually 60-100hz, so 60-100 fps, max). Since 30-60 FPS is ideal, locking into the monitor's refresh isn't as bad as it sounds.

-nerseus

Yes, I must have been a same thing like in Assembler Amiga Days.

But I get tearing in diffenent places then the program runs, so I wonder if my computer is too small, and Windows sometimes use to must "power".

I'm using a Pentium 3 450 Mhz and 384 MB Ram, and my graphicscard is a ATI 32 MB.

Thanks,
Miura

Back