Simple Question

rbulph

Junior Contributor
What's the file extension for a .Net project? Is it ".vbp" as for Visual Basic? Just a little forward compatability issue for a Visual Basic program I'm writing.

.vbproj

So no conflicts

for got to mention the above if for VB.NET projects

and .sln are solution files

Andy

Last edited:
Plus *.sln for solutions.

The easiest and most complete way for you would probably be to have a look at the file open dialogue in the .NET IDE itself.

Don't actually have .Net. If you were writing a dll, could that be either a .vbp/.vbproj or a .sln file?

Dont quite understand what you mean but dll's save to .dll

Use dll's created in .NET with .NET

Use dll's in VB6 in .NET or VB6 but should really stick with writing new dll's for .NET

In reference to file types,

.vbproj & .sln are native to .NET and you cannot resave back to VB6

Andy

In VB6, if you want to create a dll, you open a project, and if you save that, it has the extension ".vbp". If you compile it, it will have the extension ".dll". I test dlls with my application by looking for them in a particular folder. This works on compiled dlls, but it will also work on a vbp which will compile to a dll and which is currently running in an instance of the development environment. The benefit of this is that you can step through the code for the dll.

Presumably dlls written in .Net can still be used by a VB6 application. In anticipation of the fact that future dlls might be written in .Net, I'd like to check for the appropriate file extensions, so that I can provide the same functionality for such dlls as I do for ones written in VB6. Hence my question. But from your third paragraph, it sounds as if all dlls for my application should be written in VB6 anyway?

Presumably dlls written in .Net can still be used by a VB6 application...

Not really. Although you _can_ create COM DLLs with .NET, it's really designed to compile to .NET assemblies which are entirely different. There is a huge difference going from COM to .NET.

Back