Simple OOP mistake

travisowens

Centurion
Why won't this int keep incrementing?

I just created a simple web page in VS2005 and dropped a button and a label. I simply want the label to increment every time the button is pushed, which works fine the first click, but after that Count is always 1.

What simple thing am I not seeing?

Code:
public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page 
{
	public int _count = new int();

public void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
	{
	}
	public void btnIncrement_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
	{
		Count = Count + 1;
		lblCount.Text = Count.ToString();
	}

public int Count
	{
		get 
		{
			return _count;
		}
		set
		{
			_count = value;
		}
	}
}

and if you want to see the generated HTML

Code:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <div>
		<asp:Button ID="btnIncrement" runat="server" OnClick="btnIncrement_Click" Text="Increment" /><br />
		<asp:Label ID="lblCount" runat="server" Text="0"></asp:Label></div>
    </form>
</body>
</html>

Last edited:
Since you are storing the value in your own variable, and not using the text of the label you will need to do something like

C#:
	public int Count
	{
		get 
		{
			return Session("m_count");
		}
		set
		{
			Session("m_count") = value;
		}
	}

The reason for this is because everytime you click the button the page reloads, and the value is reset back to 0 and then increased.

Putting the value in a Session Variable will keep the value across page loads, additonally you could use this value in a completely different webpage through: Session("m_count").

Thanks!

I wasn't even thinking, my brain is in WinForms mode, I don't know why I had forgotten about using a session.

PS: in any kind of collection/array in C# it's [] not ()

Oops, I didn't compile the code, just wrote it in the forum here. Glad you caught it, and knew the difference. Working on a VB project now, so I'm in VB mode...

No biggie, I do it too, for awhile I was working on a classic ASP app and when I went back to my C# code, I forgot all my ;s and didn't notice until the build didn't work.

Depends what you want to do with that count next, you may also store the value in viewstate instead of session.

Back