Several .NET Framework Installation Errors

MikeTV

Newcomer
I just backed up and re-formatted my hard drive lastnight, in hopes that my computer would have enough room for VS 2005 Express Edition. I activated & registered my copy of WinXP Pro (5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600), and fell asleep during the agonizingly long Windows Update service, just as usual.

However, once I had everything all up-to-date and installed VC# 2005 Express, I ran into a strange error. I couldn't seem to debug (or run) an application. I kept getting the following messages, seemingly at random:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000007)”
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)”

My first assumption was that I didn't install VS.NET 2005 Express properly. A quick repair of the installation gave me the same thing. So I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it from scratch... Same thing. I looked in the Add/Remove Programs dialog, and found that I didn't have the MS .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributible installed, however I DID have versions 2.0 and 3.0 properly installed. I did some research and found the following link:

fixing-the-application-failed-to-initialize-properly-0xc0000135

I decided to uninstall everything in reverse order (.NET Framework 3.0, VC# 2005 Express, .NET Framework 2.0 Security Update and .NET Framework 2.0, respectively). Then I downloaded and installed the .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable. The installation was going fine, but at the end, it rolled back and spit out:

"Microsoft .NET Framework (English) setup has ended prematurely. If this persists, please contact Product Support."

I'm at my ends wit trying to get back into .NET programming. Can anyone help me? I can't seem to find any concrete answers on the web.

The express editions shouldn't need .Net 1/ 1.1 installed as they are based on version 2 of the framework.

If you check your event logs are there any errors / warning logged there that relate to the failed installs?

Back