Session variables getting lost

davearia

Centurion
Hi All,

I have written a little web site that has a log in page. Once the user logs in I set a session variable to flag this event. When the user logs into the admin section there is a check on this variable to see if they logged in correctly and didn't just put the address in the address bar instead. On my local machine this works great for both I.E. and Firefox. However when I publish it on my Windows Server 2003 box it works great with Firefox but with I.E. the session variable is null once the admin page loads.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Cheers, Dave.

Is the SessionID being preserved correctly between page loads? Is there any particular configuration that is different on the 2003 server compared to your development environment? If so is there anything that could be done to duplicater this configuration on the development machine?

Maybe a bit late now but did you consider using the built in authentication mechanisms (Forms being the most liekly given your scenario) rather than writing your own from scratch?

After some investigation, it appears it only happens to my 2 machines at home, which are on the same network as the server. If I use a machine outside of the network i.e. my machine at work, the code works perfect.

Back