session variables and passing values from one page to another

fguihen

Junior Contributor
in a c sharp web app, how do i create a session variable, and/or how do i pass values between two pages ( eg pass users dept from login page to teh next page). which is better, to use session variables or to pass values between pages?( there is no script tags in my aspx page, it just calls a c# class)

i downloaded that zip, unzipped it, placed the folder in my wwwroot folder, but when i try to access webform1.aspx or webform2.aspx, i get this error:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 23: "Forms", "Passport" and "None"
Line 24: -->
Line 25: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Line 26:
Line 27:

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\pagetopagedata\web.config Line: 25

any ideas??

You need to make sure the folder you unzipped into (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\pagetopagedata) is properly configured under IIS.
If you run the IIS Manager tool and find the folder under default web site and bring up it's property page there should be an option to create an application (near the bottom of the dialog). Hit create and then ok.

theres no folder called default web site, in the inetpub folder, or in the iis configuration manager.

sorry , i phrased that very wrongly. what i mean is , under the default web site folder , i can see pagetopage data, but it is not a folder. its just looks like a little box thats open. i have a new error now though when i try to load http://localhost/pagetopagedata/webform1.aspx:

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'PageToPageData.Global'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="PageToPageData.Global" %>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\PageToPageData\global.asax Line: 1

sorry to keep bothering yall

In the IIS manager console you should have an entry for 'Internet Information Services'
under that there should be an entry for the computer itself and under that an entry called 'Default Web Site'

What version of windows are you running?

Back